Water Usage Around the World (LMA)

     Looking at my infographic, it is evident that water usage can vary not only from person to person, but country to country. Personally, I use about 165 gallons of water per day, which is above average compared to both countries listed. For example, the average person in Angola uses about 6.6 gallons. All of my categories of water consumption use 20 gallons or more. 

    I think I use more water because I have consistent access to water, and I always have. I don’t have to think twice about getting a glass of water or taking a shower. In other countries, they have to be more mindful of themselves and their families when using water. This brings me to my next point, also an analysis of my Field Experience. 

    Part of the Field Experience has to do with just that, mindfulness. Based on what my peers described, the Field Experience, in itself, was not just about carrying water. While this was included, I don’t often think about how easy it is to get clean, plentiful water whenever I like. In fact, the nearest water source to me is less than half a mile away. To get some perspective, based on the time it took my classmates to carry water, it would take me about 25 trips to walk and gather my daily usage. Now think about people in places like Angola, where there isn’t always a river nearby, not to mention the water quality. So, now I don’t leave the water running, and I try not to waste whatever I use. When keeping this in mind, I find myself with a better sense of awareness, both at home and out in the world.

Works Cited

“Geography of Angola.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 23 June 2020,  

          en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Angola.

Howard Perlman, USGS. “How Much Water Do You Use at Home?” Water Science Questionnaire #3: Water Use
at Home, water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-percapita.html.

Comments

Popular Posts