Who Wants Chunks in Their Water?

 In Unit 3, Water and Weather, we have spent a portion of our time looking at Earth’s natural processes of cleaning water (geological, biological, and meteorological). We have also taken time to make our own filters. While some questions like “What resources/materials are best?” and “Is this filter efficient?” came up in my mind, we also have to think, “How would I thrive in a water crisis?

Filtering water, whether that be chunks, bacteria, or any other unwanted substance, can impact the type of filter used. In the conduction of my experiment, I filtered water (mixed with dirt). With this in mind, I needed something that would filter out the main chunks of dirt, as well as smaller particles. Questioned throughout the experiment was this: How would you thrive in a water crisis?

I thought, if I can create a functional filter, then I can thrive off of unsanitary water because I would have a way to remove the unwanted materials. To achieve this, I used whatever materials I could find, which consisted of a cup with a lid, a plastic water bottle, charcoal powder, sand, a small bag with fine holes, and superglue. 

Fill the small bag about halfway with charcoal powder, and about a quarter filled with sand. This creates a simulation of the geological filters that clean the water of our lakes, oceans, and even rivers. Make sure this bag is closed, and place it in the plastic water bottle. This way, you won’t drink the charcoal or sand. Likewise, you need to poke holes in the bottom of the bottle, without puncturing the bag. Water will now be able to flow all the way down and sit at the bottom of the container. All that’s left is attaching the plastic water bottle to the top of the cap, and this is where you may need to use superglue or a hot glue gun. 

With the filter all good to go, it’s time to clean your water. I mixed regular water with chunky dirt to replicate what groundwater may look like. Eventually, after pouring the dirty water in from the top, you are left with clean, non-chunky water. This is more desirable, and more efficient/inexpensive than other alternatives. 

All in all, I think my filter was successful. It took a few different designs, and some help from my dad, but we ended up with water that I would honestly drink. With this filter, I think I just might survive in a water crisis (discounting ocean water). At least until the ground suffers from a drought, or the water is contaminated.


Water:

pH

Hardness (estimation in ppm)

Before

about 7 (H+ is 1*10^-7, scientific notation: 5*10^-1)

160 ppm (fraction: 160/1,000,000, decimal: 0.00016, logarithm: about -3.8)

After

about 6.8 (H+ is about 1.6*10^-7, scientific notation: 48*10^-2)

160 ppm (fraction: 160/1,000,000, decimal: 0.00016, logarithm: about -3.8)

visual reference for experiment: https://youtu.be/90pRXH0LbPk


Comments

Popular Posts