nice to meet you, i'm 단무지

Taking on the persona of an inhuman character, such as dan-muji, has given me thorough insight as to what sort of journey a food can take across different countries, societies, and the variation in preparation. Dan-muji, as you will hear, is a common ingredient in kimbap, my favorite food. My intentions of the overall project were to not only trace and gain perspective of this food, its domestication, and history, but to authentically enhance my understanding of prior truths and memories surrounding dan-muji. I’ve discovered an unknown aspect of nourishing my Korean heritage, through our beloved food. Food carries memories of family, special events, and life changes with it. I learned this while talking to my own grandmother and reflecting on the significance of food (and not just consuming it). While there is a clear characterization represented in this project, myself, and many other students, have also taken a sort of journalistic approach. When talking to family members and calling places that sell our selected foods, we must carefully craft questions that will further our insight on our journey. So, lend 단무지 your ears for a moment, and feel free to check out my (condensed) family tree.



(family tree)

After interviewing my grandma previously, I felt inclined to ask her more about how her prior truths and memories might correlate to food. And although I love Korean food, I know very little about the preparation and stories that are attached to some of my favorite dishes. Having spent minimal time in the kitchen with my grandma, I was surprised to learn about the obsolescence of precise measurements, and how the celebratory variations of food reminded her of a time with many siblings/large amounts of cooking on her mother’s behalf.

I am not the most confident person when it comes to cooking; I often rely on precise measurements in recipes. So discovering this different approach was quite the epiphany. Although, I soon noticed my mom also experiences this abandonment of ingredient quantification. 

After asking and reflecting on the contrasts of each person’s meal preferences, I can best understand some of the similarities & differences of my siblings. Each generation experiences family in a unique way, which is to say that of all generations given, we (my siblings and I) may have had the most idiosyncratic experiences. Primarily, I would say, in the context of paternal relationships and cultural interest. 

As each generation continues, our family has become more “mixed,” but not every generation inherits the same cultural interest. The paternal bond may be considered as stronger in some generations, perhaps manifesting itself in pallet developments, but also curiosity. Circling back to my siblings, “JA” is my half brother on my dad’s side, so the previous aspect of paternal bonds makes sense. However, the known amount/variation of cultures to be shared and passed down on my mom’s side simply outweighs the background of my dad’s side of the family. And given that my sister and I have spent more time with my mom and that side of the family, it also makes sense that we prefer/know more about types of food like kimbap or tacos. This dynamic is similar in my mom’s experience as well, but instead, perhaps, with the increased preference and knowledge for food/traditions of her father’s side.


script: Hello! I’m 단무지. In the context of Japanese cooking, however, I might be called takuan (沢庵). Before elucidating my cultural and family history, you may want to know about my journey across continents and oceans. As previously mentioned, takuan and I are the same. That’s because we are a yellow, pickled, daikon radish. Many describe me as both sweet and sour. I was introduced to Korea by Japan, when they ruled Korea from 1910-1945. Many sources will say that I originated in the Mediterranean, but my origins are a bit foggy. Evidence suggests that radishes could have been domesticated in both Europe and Asia, and that the Asian radishes originated distinctly from an unknown wild species. Overall, the journey of how my descendants, radishes, may have left Europe or spread across the world is not entirely clear. Yet, the results of the previous study suggest that some species of radish were restricted to certain geographical areas. This could explain why it is difficult to trace the journey of the radish(es). Prior to Roman times, radishes were brought to China for cultivation. The artificial selection of this root vegetable took place in China, around 500 B.C. Radishes are part of the Brassicaceae (mustards) family, which was domesticated in Asia. But how did I get here? Not just Chicago, but the Americas? Radishes were one of the first vegetables introduced to the New World when European settlers first arrived here. Nowadays, you can find me in Asian markets like H Mart, or Joong Boo Market in Chicago. Many people like to eat me with kimbap, an iconic Korean food, which can also be found here, or you can buy me individually. To get to these markets, brands like Pacific Giant distribute me from Vernon, California. As seen on the package, PROC stands for People’s Republic of China, and although their sourcing is rather private, families like this one, in Chicago, have long-enjoyed my distinct flavors, as well as recipes that incorporate my radish descendants. As I mentioned, I am often combined with rice and seaweed in kimbap, or separately as 반찬 (side dishes). In dishes like these, I am typically recognized as a vital ingredient, and most people don’t like to make kimbap without me. And for my radish cousins, kimchi (김치) is often made with radishes or lettuce. This family that I mentioned earlier, seems to adore me and my radish variants. Kimchi “helps younger family members adjust to Korean flavors,” and has continued to be loved, throughout generations. Plus, kimchi is really beneficial for your health, as it contains vitamins, can strengthen your immune system, and can improve digestive health. So, there you have it! The journey of the well-known radish, and how I am involved in many Asian families and recipes.

works cited:

Blakemore, Erin. “How Japan Took Control of Korea.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 28 Feb. 2018, www.history.com/news/japan-colonization-korea#:~:text=In%201910%2C%20Korea%20was%20annexed,out%20war%20on%20Korean%20culture.

Chen, Written by Namiko. “Takuan (Pickled Daikon Radish) • Just One Cookbook.” Just One Cookbook, 17 Oct. 2020, www.justonecookbook.com/takuan-pickled-daikon-radish/.

“Danmuji (단무지 - Sweet Radish Pickle).” s h i n s h i n e, www.shinshine.com/my-blog/2011/11/danmuji.html.

“H MART.” H Mart, www.hmart.com/.

Itoh, Makiko. “Daikon: The Great Radish of Japan.” The Japan Times, www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2015/12/18/food/daikon-great-radish-japan/.

Jeong, Young-Min, et al. “De Novo Assembly and Characterization of the Complete Chloroplast Genome of Radish (Raphanus Sativus L.).” Gene, Elsevier, 21 Aug. 2014, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378111914009640.

“Joong Boo Market Chicago - Asian Grocery Store.” Joong Boo Market Chicago, IL, joongboomarket.com/.

Maangchi. “Yellow Pickled Radish (Danmuji).” Maangchi, 9 Apr. 2015, www.maangchi.com/recipe/danmuji.

Meredith, Leda. “6 Ways to Perfectly Preserve and Pickle Radishes.” The Spruce Eats, www.thespruceeats.com/preserved-radish-recipes-1327888.

Nature News, Nature Publishing Group, www.nature.com/subjects/plant-domestication#:~:text=Plant%20domestication%20is%20the%20process,event%20followed%20by%20selective%20breeding.

“Our Facility.” Pacific Giant, www.pacificgiant.com/our-facility.

“The Radish.” Harvesting History, 31 Jan. 2017, harvesting-history.com/the-radish/.

Stradley, Linda. “Daikon Radish.” What's Cooking America, 24 Apr. 2017, whatscookingamerica.net/DaikonRadish.htm#:~:text=Daikon%20Radish%20%E2%80%93%20The%20word%20Daikon,%2D%20to%2020%2Dinches%20long.

Www.facebook.com/inthefamilypot. “Asian Root Vegetables ⋆ In The Family Pot.” In The Family Pot, 25 May 2020, inthefamilypot.com/2020/05/asian-vegetables/. 

Comments

Popular Posts