CIVIC ENGAGEMENT (reflecting and looking ahead)

     While hardships have carried on among communities across the world, the COVID-19 pandemic has been detrimental. As many opportunities became virtual, it was evident that any service, no matter how small, would make an impact. With the responsibility of engagement, comes opportunities for connection, giving back, and, of course, reflection. I should mention that no school or program that I've participated in has ever required community service/civic engagement. Nonetheless, I soon became especially familiar with the different types of engagement and the process of self immersion. Please continue reading to see my personal reflection on the service completed in the past year:

making pet toys 

- As an animal lover, I took a particular interest in the types of volunteer work related to shelters, animal clinics, etc. In the past, I have volunteered for a cat shelter, which was lovely - mostly because I got to play with cats after cleaning. Unfortunately, this type of engagement was an unrealistic commitment during Covid times, but I found another way to help! Many pets love to play with toys, and I hopped on a Zoom call to learn how to make them! With the guidance of The Anti-Cruelty Society, my mom and I used feathers, pipe cleaners, and even old corks to put together colorful toys that would eventually go to the paws of animals in the shelter. While we normally display our love in the form of head scratches, I'm sure they appreciate the tug ropes and chew toys :)




student ambassadors

- Becoming a student ambassador for my school has given me a great sense of community and connection. The majority of my time as an ambassador was spent at open houses and connecting with prospective students. In addition to connecting with new students and families interested in my school, I got to know fellow classmates and students. This opportunity gave us a platform to share our experiences with staff and families, and take time to reflect on what we learned throughout courses and projects. 

food packing & food drive

- A very common and easy way to help is by donating! This can be old clothes, toys, or cans and ingredients to make Thanksgiving dinners! Holidays often remind of us family and celebration, but not everyone is fortunate enough to afford a big feast. My scholarship program hosted a food drive and I was awarded a total of two hours for this engagement. And while the act was gratifying in itself, it was also great to the other scholars outside of virtual meetings. On the topic of food, I spent a total of six hours packaging fresh meals for families in need (hosted by Top Box Foods). This engagement was much more hands-on, and my brother came along to help too. Again, I really enjoyed getting to know the other volunteers as we, six feet apart, formed our own assembly line of packages and produce. With that being said, I was able to donate both unused cans and extra time, to those in need, for a simple yet effective form of engagement. 

PPE kit delivery

- The pandemic has impacted all of us in different ways, especially the elderly and those in need. With the help of my mom, we drove around to several elderly homes throughout Chicago to deliver PPE kits. I enjoyed visiting other parts of the city, while also interacting with some folks who may have felt a bit lonely. This act of service was a great way to make use of extra time.


Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed connecting with and helping people all over the city. Now that I'm used to the process, I can get a head start, instead of putting off service hours. Having said that, I don't really see them as just opportunities to volunteer, but rather opportunities to branch out of my comfort zone, learn about others, and, of course, lend a hand to those in need. 


Comments

Popular Posts