THE UNDERLYING HEROES

For our final Stories Action Project, I compared two heroes using Joseph Campbell’s “Heroes’ Journey.” In class, we analyzed the different steps of the journey, as well as the common archetypes that appear throughout it. In terms of the monomyth, the “Hero’s Journey,” there are twelve distinct steps that are often identified. In my interactive model below, you will be able to engage with each of these steps and understand what kind of questions they answer. These steps don’t always occur chronologically, but the cycle generally begins with the “Ordinary World,” and ends with the “Return.” In order to apply what we learned, our class visited Armani Howard’s art studio on the South Side of Chicago. While there, we learned about how the continuous cycle within the creative process is similar to the cycle of the “Hero’s Journey.” I loved his emphasis on not enforcing ideas or a story, but rather just letting them flow and tell their own story in the form of art. It requires reflection and intimacy with yourself in order to navigate your “inner dialogue.” The result is not only beautiful paintings and drawings, but also authentic pieces that inspire others. I also think this is a common theme in general with abstract art because it illustrates the subconscious and challenges “normalities.” Heroes also have to face their fears and perceptions of reality to navigate their journey. Aside from the hero, you can often identify other characters that impact the story who often have their own agendas. To compare two heroes, I based my fictional hero (Mufasa) off of my grandma (who I will refer to as “CS”. 

I chose my grandma (CS) because I didn’t know very much about her work and I, too, have an interest in psychology and counseling. I have a lot of admiration for members of my family who have been role models for me and who chase after their dreams. Mufasa generally represents a mentor archetype in the Lion King, and although Simba is the designated hero, he wouldn’t have returned home without the guidance of Mufasa’s spirit. Since Mufasa directs his son on a path to success based on his own experiences, I thought his journey would be comparable to my grandma. Heroes are not always at the forefront of saving people from fires or arresting criminals, because sometimes being a hero means helping someone work through their problems or overcome discouraging feelings. My grandma has had years of experience in social work and counseling, and works with a wide range of people who have a wide range of needs. I decided to compare my grandma and her experience to Mufasa, Simba’s father in Lion King. In addition to representing a contrast in the typical hero, I think they both represent similar ideologies when it comes to helping others. They provide others with the resources and encouragement in order for them to reach their goals and find their purpose. I will say, however, that there are a few differences in their journeys. The major distinction is their “Ordinary Worlds” and “Call to Actions.” Before entering social work, my grandma was the first in her family to go to college and didn’t have much support or guidance. Mufasa, however, likely had guidance from his father on the responsibilities that come with being King, and so he was more prepared for future challenges. As for the “Call to Action,” Mufasa was essentially handed the throne because he was next in line, whereas my grandma had to work for her schooling because she knew she always wanted to go into the “helping field.”


(please click image to navigate the slideshow, thank you!)


Works Cited

Artnet.com, http://www.artnet.com/artists/walt-disney-studios/the-lion-king-mufasa-and-simba-p3HAmyewe1cZaZ3APRRn-g2.

“Hyenas from Lion King Fan Art: Hyenas: Hyena Lion King, Lion King Fan Art, Lion King Images.” Pinterest, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/372321094167644374/.

Tucker, Neal. “What Is Simba and Nala's Baby's Name?” D Is For Disney, 7 May 2020, https://www.disfordisney.com/2020/05/03/what-is-simba-and-nalas-babys-name/.

“Zazu.” The Lion King Wiki, https://lionking.fandom.com/wiki/Zazu.

Comments

Popular Posts