do you really hate them?

     In this Action Project, my partner and I explored the theme of "hate" through the Socratic Method that we learned about in our class, Forbidden Books. This method entails asking a series of open-ended questions in order to come to an epiphany or some sort of realization. In fact, the Greek philosopher Socrates was the initiator of this method of questioning, and it ultimately led to his trial and execution. This begs the question: How can this instigation be harmful? Well, in class we practiced this method of questioning by asking our classmates open-ended questions to define things like love, justice, etc. Interestingly but not surprisingly, everyone had different answers, even at the end of the questions. Because of this, I believe it is very important to keep in mind that no matter how many questions you ask someone, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, and those with inquisitive minds should not be trying to push an agenda. 

     Based on this concept, our Action Project attempts to answer a question surrounding the idea of "hate," including what it could mean, as well as how it can be misunderstood. In the attached video, two friends (shadow puppets) will see if they can take on the challenge of understanding this thing we call "hate." Thanks for checking out my post and enjoy the video! Also, thank you to my classmate N.O. for producing the WONDERFUL music in this video! 


Here is the script:

Character 1: Hey! How’s it going? Did your covid test come back negative yet?

Character 2: Yeah it came back negative, so I’m good, how about you?

Character 1: I’m doing alright! So I wanted to ask if you wanted to hang out this weekend? We can finish up that project and then go bowling!

Character 2: Yeah I’m free this weekend! I was going to hang out with my boyfriend but OF COURSE, he’s too busy hanging out with Avery. Ever since COVID hit, they've been seriously inseparable. I just HATE Avery.


Character 1: Hmm. What do you mean by “hate” Avery?


Character 2: I mean that I just can’t stand his presence, so I genuinely don’t like being around him.


Character 1: Well, why don’t you like being around Avery?


Character 2: Because Avery just drives me off the wall. He’s seriously so annoying. I also hate the sound of his voice. Everything he does just makes me angry. And did I mention they like red apples over green ones??? Who does that?!


Character 1: Do you think you hate Avery because they like red apples or because they are spending a lot of time with your boyfriend?


Character 2: Okay, first of all, red apples are not better than green ones. Second, I don’t care! I trust my boyfriend to spend time with someone else. It just so happens I don’t like that person spending time with them. Everyone likes Avery, I just can’t see why.


Character 1: Do you think if your boyfriend spent more time alone with you, maybe you wouldn’t mind having Avery around every now and then?


Character 2: Maybe, but if he doesn't want to spend more time with me, then I could never accept his friend, even if Avery is really nice.


Character 1: Then do you really believe that you hate Avery, or do you think that you could just be a little jealous of how often they are hanging out?


Character 2: Well, maybe I just hate that I’m jealous.


Character 1: If you don’t really hate Avery, do you think that communicating with your boyfriend will help him understand where these jealous feelings are coming from?


Character 2: I think I should talk to my boyfriend. Then I could get some reassurance from him so I won’t have to be jealous of Avery all the time.


Character 1: That sounds like a good idea, I’m glad we figured it out. So I’ll see you this weekend?


Character 2: For sure.

Comments

Popular Posts