are you a stranger to dreams?

  Hello and welcome to my final Action Project for my Humanities class, Drama. In this unit we read "A Raisin in the Sun," by Lorraine Hansberry. After a few days of acting out scenes as a class, we dove deeper into several concepts. The play tells a story of a Black family on the south side of Chicago, but it also tells us about the individual dreams of different characters, as well as the things that seem to get in the way of achieving those dreams. This brought up ideas about the expectations of women, men, and the injustices against certain groups of people. Additionally, the role of the matriarch, Mama, who is the head of the household. Although Mama played a powerful role in the family and in the play, I found one conversation especially moving.

 In order to tie all of these ideas about dreams and expectations together, I formed a question to guide this project: Is it possible to achieve dreams that are not "practical"? However, I wasn't just answering this question myself. In this unit we also learned about "Greek choruses," which serve as commentary of the consensus of a group of people/community. So I took this question and asked several people what they thought. After combining answers to find the majority's perspective, I broke down the previously mentioned conversation. Finally, I was able to interject the dialogue with context and new perspective:

Looking back on this project, I really enjoyed connecting different themes in the unit to the general perspective of those I interviewed. I did have a lot of fun talking to different people because some were very open to the idea of challenging "practicality," while others were more resistant due to obstacles and circumstances. I hope that the commentary encouraged new thinking and you found the dialogue as interesting as I did!




Comments

Popular Posts